Friday 17 October 2008

Missing the point

Just read this on the Ed's Blog at Scrum of the Earth.





Does this stir the same feelings in you as a Swastika?

Now I know that I'm not a black South African but this seems to be good intentioned people missing the point (and the bigger issue).
As the Blog states it predates appartheid by quite a long time and the symbol that some want to change to represents the division of that regime more than the Bok does - ironic? I think so.

As Ed has said in his blog, the people of the SARU. the players and the fans should be asked and the decision should be made based on the results.

Personally I think it would be a great shame to lose such an iconic symbol from the rugby world, I'm not someone who experienced apartheid, but to me it represnts the values of strength, speed and agility that you would hope the team would play with, regardless of race, creed or colour.

IMHO,there are deeper problems in the South African society that will not be solved by changing the badge on a rugby shirt.

Rant over.
\m/

No comments: